Awards Ceremony & Reception – 2017 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
May 2 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
On May 2nd at 4:00 PM at the Trini Mendenhall Community Center the winners of the 2017 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition will be announced! Seed Capital Prizes will be awarded for the winners to start their dream business.
Dr. Zachary Hodges, President of HCC Northwest; and Jack Barry III, Business Plan Competition Coordinator, will be speaking; followed by Richard Tyler, Competition Trainer, and Robert Westheimer, Founder of Newspring. Hors d’oeuvres will be served before and after the ceremony.
The 2017 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition conducted by strategic partner Newspring and the Center for Entrepreneurship HCC Northwest has been a great success, with 32 teams, advised by over 60 Newspring business mentors. Our ceremony is to celebrate and congratulate the advisors and contestants for all teams who successfully moved through the rigorous competition milestones January through April submitting written plans together!
On Tuesday, May 2nd at the Awards Ceremony, teams will learn how they placed and be presented with cash prizes. All completer teams are invited and will be celebrated along with competition mentors, judges, trainers, sponsors, organizers and key internal and external partners from HCC and Houston’s entrepreneurial eco-system.
Invitees will receive a link via email to electronically RSVP
Call 713-718-8436 for more information.
Thanks to our Judges for the 2017 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition:
- Jack Barry III, retired CEO, author, consultant
- Richard Tyler, Best Selling Author, Consultant, CEO, Richard Tyler International, Inc.
- Jack Barry IV, Founder and CEO, ClientBridge, LLC
- Sheila Kay Johnstone, Owner, Sheila Kay Johnstone, Inc.
- Steve Harter, CEO, Notre Capital Ventures
- Rob Saltiel, CEO, Atwood Oceanics
- Shelaghmichael Brown, Board Member, BBVA Compass Bank
Congratulations to the 2017 Business Plan Competition Finalists
- Accelerated Quality Solutions – Dana Bigler, Mercy Nthiga, Advisers Janet Miertschin and Earl Lambert
- SpenDebt – Kiley Summers, Advisers Heather Bain and Frank Monachelli
- Stem Cell Security – Lourdes Chacon Alberty, Doris Taylor and Luiz Sampaio, Advisers Charles Fenner and Jarrett Price
- Summer Creek Dance Studio – Heather and Daniel Galloway, Advisers Sherry Barker, Jackie Smyre and John Hartman
- Wanderlust Houston – Deidre Mathis, Advisers Carolyn Moore and Bill Herman
Congratulations Completer Teams: The goal of the HCC Newspring BPC is to empower all teams accepted into the competition through the competition training and mentoring and through the opportunity to build that into the refinement and polishing of written plans that are submitted in April. Twenty-four teams achieved perfect attendance at all competition training and submitted plans by the April 10, 2017 submission deadline! The greatest prize has already been set in motion by all teams through the: training, mentoring, group inspiration, galvanizing team work, lessons learned and milestones achieved. The experience and connections can keep on giving as well. We will also celebrate all nineteen completer teams on May 2nd!
- DG Grafix –Don Terrell; Advisors: Angel Roman Hurtado and Filip Valica
- Vet Works Construction –Joe Foley; Advisors: Chris Weekely and Jeff Wilkinson
- Gazelle Therapy –Evrim Baykal; Advisors: Todd Bermont and Rob Burchfield
- Grubidos –Kavachie Ukegbu, Felix Egwu, Queen Tane; Advisors: Vinay Shah and Harry Tallichet
- Kyck Back Kytchun + Lounge –Shantra Wilson; Advisors: Abe Gonzalez and Tom McClurkin
- Little Folks Party Bus –Chaka Howard, Joy Jones; Advisors: David Sakr and Lorry Harju
- Lux Home & Design –Lakeya Hopkins; Advisors: Pat Goettsche, Bill Stubbs and David Hanks
- Nerdy Girl Success –Christina Meade, Edward Batinga; Advisors: Todd Moser, Ana Casares and Shushanik Papanyan
- O A K Geosciences, LLC –Constantin Platon; Advisors: Chris Gonzalez and Steve Rosencranz
- Pachyderm Leather Works –Forrest Hedrick; Advisors: David Eyre and Art Fallon
- Providence Integrated Pest Management –Kenneth Beason; Advisors: Chi An and Kevin Doffing
- School Paper, LLC –Keon Armstrong; Advisors: Lauren Masraff and Santosh Mulayath
- Slink Interactive –Alley Goodroad; Advisors: John Krebs and Payton Swope
- SpaceHTX, LLC –James Kelso, Jerry Mathis; Advisors: Kathleen Bowen and John Kemper
- Tate’s Home Away From Home –Candi Tate, Marvin Tate; Advisors: Robert Westheimer and Ed Peine
- The Author’s Pen, LLC –Lindsy Bivens, Miriam Nowon; Advisors: Mike Handel and Terry Richter
- The Computer Music Room –Amber Cloud; Advisors: Eric Kuhn and Alex Segars
- The Faure School, LLC –Amira Plascencia, Martha Paez; Advisors: David Short and Robert Rutherford
- The HelpXchange –Habibah Haugstad; Advisors: Brent Grundberg and David DuCharme