HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
- Entrants are encouraged (but not required) to work in teams of two or more.
- At least one member of each team should complete either 1) Small Business Management – BUSG 2309 (for credit) or BUSG 2009 (for continuing education units); or 2) Entrepreneurship & Econonic Development – BUSG 1373 (for credit) or BUSG 1073 (for continuing education units); or 3) Creating a Successful Business Plan (an HCC online continuing education class) prior to the competition. HCC students must be in good academic standing.
- Owners of existing businesses and those with prior entrepreneurial experience may apply to take the class concurrently – during the competition – but each applicant will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Those wishing to apply in this manner should sign up and pay for the class, prior to submitting their BPC application. Click here to sign up for a Spring 2016 class.
- Graduates of the HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program may also apply for the competition and are NOT required to take a prerequisite class. Your completion of the 10,000 Small Businesses program is considered your prerequisite class.
Who Should Apply
- Start-Ups – Entrants who want to turn their business idea into a serious business;
- Exiting Businesses
- Entrants who own a business embarking upon a growth plan;
- Entrants who own a business that needs a new course of action; or
- Entrants whose employer needs a new business direction and/or new product line;
- More Details on Existing Businesses.
Hear from Jack Barry
Leader, HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
2016 Competition Timeline
- November 18, 2015– HCC Begins Accepting Applications
- January 20, 2016 – Application Deadline (11:59pm)
- April 3, 2016 – Submission Deadline for 2016 Business Plans – Online Submission Open March 29 – April 3, 11:59 pm. For link to submit and guidelines, scroll down this page.
- April 21, 2016 – Finalists present business plans to judges
- April 26, 2016 – Winners announced and awards presented – 4pm-6pm, Trini Mendenhall Community Center, 1414 Wirt Rd.
|Five Teams Won Prize Money – 2015||2015 In-Kind Prize Winners|
|2014 Winners||2013 Winners|
BPC Alumni Testimonials and More on Past Winners
Click on each link for more on past winners and for updates on past competition teams:
- BPC Alumni Testimonials – Updates on Past Competitors!
- 2015 Winners!
- 2014 Winners
- 2013 Winners
- 2012 Winners
- 2011 Winners
- 2010 Winners
2016 BPC Training Session Schedule
Newspring conducts five training sessions for contestant teams and their business advisers about the required focus and planning to write their business plans and move effectively through the competition. These are closed sessions open only to contestants, advisers, Newspring staff and HCC’s BPC related staff. Training Sessions- Five Tuesday Evenings at HCC Spring Branch from January through March. We also encourage teams to meet individually with their advisers before or immediately following the training sessions.
- Session 1: February 2, 2016
- Session 2: February 9, 2016
- Session 3: February 16, 2016
- Session 4: February 23, 2016
- Spring Break: March 14 – 18, 2016 – Campus Closed
- Session 5: March 22 (Plans due April 3)
- Sessions 1, 3 & 4 – 1.5 hours, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm
- Sessions 2 & 5 – 2.0 hours, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm
- Directions To HCC Spring Branch Campus
- Main Building Site Plan Room 115 – Eagle Room – Middle of Main Building
2016 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition Breaks Three Records! Records: Applications – Teams – Mentors
February & March 2016 Brought Action-Packed Competition Training Sessions to HCC Spring Branch
Check This BPC Webpage Regularly for Updates
Note that competition dates, rules and requirements are subject to revision. Therefore, applicants should review rules and requirements again immediately prior to filling out the application. Contestants accepted into the competition should also check this website regularly throughout the competition to stay updated. Applicants should also monitor incoming email to the email address you submitted in your application for additional updates.
Review of Application Process for Entering the 2016 Competition
Prior to filling out the online application, the applicants should:
- Read the Contestant Requirements
- Read the Competition Rules
- Prerequisite– Requirement of prerequisite class OR graduation from the HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program:
- Still need to take the class? – Register Now for a Spring 2016 Class.
- If you take the BUSG class, Have Student ID number for HCC Student Team Leader who has taken the prerequisite class (BUSG 2309 or BUSG 2009 or BUSG 1373 or BUSG 1073).
- If you take Creating a Successful Business Plan (an HCC online continuing education class); type in proof you have signed up for the Spring 2016 class in your BPC application. (Still need it? Sign up for a Spring 2016 Class in less than five minutes. Cost $109)
- HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Graduates can submit COHORT Number instead of Student Number.
- Resumes – Have electronic resumes for EACH team member ready to attach. Upload each resume in a pdf file or word.doc file when prompted in the online application.
- Read Tips for a Strong BPC Application– Read Tips and we recommend you get started on your answers to the on-line application by first typing them into a word.doc and saving it, so you can better write and prepare your answers before cutting and pasting into the on-line submission form, and so you will have a copy of your answers.
- 2016 Application Deadline – January 20, 11:59pm
- 2016 HCC Newspring BPC Application – Online Submission Form
Downloadable Flyers & More on Competition Advisors
For Downloadable Flyers and for More on the Competition Advisors:
2016 Business Plan Submission
Written Plans can be uploaded by using the link provided below:
- Plans will only be accepted from contestant teams who were accepted into the 2016 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition in January 2016. Those contestants taking the required class concurrently should also be actively participating and engaged in the class. Additionally, plans will only be accepted by contestant teams that acheived perfect attendence at all five competition training sessions in February and March.
- Plans must be submitted by 11:59 pm April 3, 2016.
- Submit Written Plan for 2016 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
For more information about the competition, e-mail email@example.com or call (713) 718-6650.