Newspring Business Plan Competition
- Entrants are encouraged (but not required) to work in teams of two or more
- At least one member of each team must complete BUSG 2309 (for credit) or BUSG 2009 (continuing education) prior to the competition. HCC students must be in good academic standing. (Owners of existing businesses may apply to take the class concurrently- during the competition- but each applicant will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
Who Should Apply
- Entrants who want to turn their business idea into a serious business;
- Entrants who are in a business that needs a new course of action; or
- Entrants whose employer needs a new business direction and/or new product line.
Timeline for the 2013 Newspring Business Plan Competition
- November 12, 2012– Enrollment begins*
- January 22, 2013 – Enrollment deadline*
- April 4, 2013 – Submission deadline for business plan
- April 25, 2013 – Finalists present business plans to judges
- April 26, 2013 Winners announced and awards presented – Please note that the date for the Business Plan Competition Award Ceremony has been changed from April 29th to Friday April 26, 2013.
BPC Training Session Schedule
Newspring conducts four training sessions for contestant teams and their business advisors about the required focus and planning to write their business plans and move effectively through the competition. These are closed sessions open only to contestants, advisors, Newspring staff and HCC’s BPC related staff.
Training Sessions-5 Tuesday Evenings at HCC Spring Branch: There will be five training sessions at HCC Spring Branch from January through March We also encourage teams to meet individually with their advisers following the training sessions.
Sessions 1, 3 & 4 are 1.5 hour sessions from 6:30pm-8:00pm.
Sessions 2 & 5 are 2.0 hour sessions from 6:30p-8:30pm.
Session Dates & Topics
- January 29th, Session 1: Review Contestant Guidelines & Rationale, Executive Summary, Market Opportunity, Customer Profile, Guidelines for Elevator Pitch Assignment, Work Session
- February 5th, Session 2: Contestants Give Elevator Pitches, Product and Company Differentiation
- February 19th, Session 3: Company Structure, Organization and Staffing, Concept of Financial Management, Work Session
- February 26th, Session 4: Financials**
- March 19th, Session 5: Final Group Q&A & Presentation Skills, Judging Criteria, (Plans due April 5th) (2 hour session) (Eagle Room, 115)
**Note there will be an additional Financial Workshop on Saturday March 2, 2013 from 9am-4pm for those contestants needing additional work in this area. There will be a nominal fee of $30 for this workshop.
Enter the 2013 Newspring Business Plan Competition
Be sure to read the Contestant Requirements and Competition Rules BEFORE completing the On-Line Application. Be prepared to attach electronic copies of each team member’s resume, because you MUST provide resumes for each team member. Be prepared to provide an HCC student number for at least one team member who is or has been registered for the required class.
Prior to filling out the online application, you should:
- Read the Contestant Requirements
- Read the Competition Rules
- Have a student number ready for input (at least one HCC student per team)-for the one student who has taken the class (BUSG 2309 or BUSG 2009), or who will be taking it this Spring. If you still need to take the class, Register Now.
- Have electronic resumes for each team member ready to attach.
- Apply online here between November 12, 2012 and January 22, 2013
- Business Plan Competition (downloadable flyer)
- Business Plan Course and Competition (downloadable flyer)
- Competition Advisors
Business Plan Submission
2013 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition Business Plans – Start-ups and Existing Businesses
- Plans will only be accepted from contestant teams that were accepted into the 2013 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition in January 2013.
- Plans must be submitted by 11:59 pm April 4, 2013.
- Submit Written Business Plan for Start-Up or Existing Business
Past BPC Winners
For more information about the competition, e-mail email@example.com or call (713) 718-6650.