HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
- Entrants are encouraged (but not required) to work in teams of two or more.
- At least one member of each team must complete BUSG 2309 (for credit) or BUSG 2009 (continuing education) prior to the competition. HCC students must be in good academic standing. (Owners of existing businesses may apply to take the class concurrently- during the competition- but each applicant will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Graduates of HCC’s Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program may also apply for the competition and are NOT required to take BUSG 2309/BUSG 2009. Your completion of the 10,000 Small Businesses program is considered your prerequisite class.
Who Should Apply
- Start-Ups – Entrants who want to turn their business idea into a serious business;
- Exiting Businesses
- Entrants who own a business embarking upon a growth plan;
- Entrants who own a business that needs a new course of action; or
- Entrants whose employer needs a new business direction and/or new product line;
- More Details on Existing Businesses.
2015 Competition Timeline
- November 18, 2014– HCC Begins Accepting Applications
- January 26, 2015, 11:59pm – Note Deadline Extension
- January 20, 2015 – Enrollment deadline*
- April 2, 2015 – Submission deadline for business plan
- April 23, 2015 – Finalists present business plans to judges
- April 28, 2015 – Winners announced and awards presented
|Five Teams Won Prize Money – 2014 Competition||All Completer Teams Won In-Kind Prizes|
2015 BPC Training Session Schedule
Newspring conducts five training sessions for contestant teams and their business advisers about the required focus and planning to write their business plans and move effectively through the competition. These are closed sessions open only to contestants, advisers, Newspring staff and HCC’s BPC related staff. Training Sessions- Five Tuesday Evenings at HCC Spring Branch from January through March. We also encourage teams to meet individually with their advisers before or immediately following the training sessions.
- Session 1: February 3
- Session 2: February 10
- Session 3: February 24
- Session 4: March 3
- Spring Break: March 16 – 20 – Campus Closed
- Session 5: March 24 – Plans due April 2
- Sessions 1, 3 & 4 – 1.5 hours, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm
- Sessions 2 & 5 – 2.0 hours, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm
- Directions To HCC Spring Branch Campus
- Main Building Site Plan Room 115 – Eagle Room – Middle of Main Building
Check This BPC Webpage Regularly for Updates
Note that competition dates, rules and requirements are subject to revision. Therefore, applicants should review rules and requirements again immediately prior to filling out the application. Contestants accepted into the competition should also check this website regularly throughout the competition to stay updated. Applicants should also monitor incoming email to the email address you submitted in your application for additional updates.
Apply to Enter the 2015 Competition
Prior to filling out the online application, you should:
- Read the Contestant Requirements
- Read the Competition Rules
- Requirement of Small Business Management Class OR Graduation from HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program
- Have Student ID number for HCC Student Team Leader who has taken the Small Business Management class (BUSG 2309 or BUSG 2009).
- HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Graduates can submit COHORT Number instead of Student Number.
- If you still need to take the class, Register Now.
- IMPORTANT UPDATE as of 1/20/15 for those signing up for the Spring 2015 Class, including textbook information.
- Resumes – Have electronic resumes for EACH team member ready to attach. Upload each resume in a pdf file or word.doc file when prompted in the online application.
- BPC Application Deadline Extension-January 26, 11:59pm
- Read Tips for a Strong BPC Application – Read Tips and we recommend you get started on your answers to the on-line application by first typing them into a word.doc and saving it, so you can better write and prepare your answers before cutting and pasting into the on-line submission form, and so you will have a copy of your answers.
- 2015 HCC Newspring BPC Application – Online Submission Form
Downloadable Flyers & More on Competition Advisers
For Downloadable Flyers and for More on the Competition Advisers:
- 2015 Bus Competition Dates (downloadable flyer)
- Business Plan Course & Competition (downloadable flyer)
- Competition Advisers
BPC Alumni Testimonials and More on Past Winners
- BPC Alumni Testimonials – Updates on Past Competitors!
- 2014 Winners
- 2013 Winners
- 2012 Winners
- 2011 Winners
- 2010 Winners
2015 Business Plan Submission
Written Plans will be uploaded by using a link provided here in April 2015:
- Plans will only be accepted from contestant teams accepted into the 2015 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition in January 2015.
- Plans must be submitted by 11:59 pm April 2, 2015.
- Check back in April, 2015 for the on-line link to a form to submit team information and to upload 2015 plans.
For more information about the competition, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (713) 718-6650.