HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
- Entrants are encouraged (but not required) to work in teams of two or more.
- At least one member of each team should complete ONE of the following: either 1) Creating a Successful Business Plan (an abbreviated online continuing education class-takes 3 minutes to sign up, 24 hours of your online time over six weeks); OR 2) Small Business Management – BUSG 2309 (for credit); OR 3) Entrepreneurship & Economic Development – BUSG 1373 (for credit); OR 4) Graduate from the HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program prior to the competition. HCC students must be in good academic standing.
- Owners of existing businesses and those with prior entrepreneurial experience may apply to take the class concurrently – during the competition – but each applicant will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Those wishing to apply in this manner should sign up and pay for the class, prior to submitting their BPC application. Click here to sign up for a class*.
*Note, Graduates of the HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program are NOT required to take the other prerequisite class options. Your completion of the 10,000 Small Businesses program is considered your prerequisite class.
Who Should Apply
- Start-Ups – Entrants who want to turn their business idea into a serious business;
- Exiting Businesses
- Entrants who own a business embarking upon a growth plan;
- Entrants who own a business that needs a new course of action; or
- Entrants whose employer needs a new business direction and/or new product line;
- More Details on Existing Businesses.
Hear from Jack Barry
Leader, HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
- Interview on Dialogue Houston TV Show about BPC.
- 2016 Awards Ceremony – Prizes Awarded!
- 2016 BPC Winners -Their Business Concepts and What’s Next
2017 Competition Timeline
- November 16, 2016– HCC Begins Accepting Applications
- January 18, 2017 – Application Deadline (11:59pm)
- April 10, 2017 – Submission Deadline for 2016 Business Plans – Online Submission Period: April 3- April 10, 11:59 pm. For link to submit and guidelines, scroll down this page.
- April 27, 2017 – Finalists present business plans to judges
- May 2, 2017 – Winners announced and awards presented – 4pm-6pm, Trini Mendenhall Community Center, 1414 Wirt Rd. 2016 Awards Ceremony
TCC Learning won first place and was awarded $12,000 along with a $2,300 media package from Small Business Today Magazine and Talk Show.
Second place winners included Energy Fundz with an $8,000 prize. There was a tie for third place for the first time in the competition’s history with $2,500 being awarded to Ole Noe and another $2,500 to Twice Media Productions. A $1,000 honorable mention was also awarded to True You Makeovers.
|Five Teams Won Prize Money – 2015||2015 In-Kind Prize Winners|
|2014 Winners||2013 Winners|
BPC Alumni Testimonials and More on Past Winners
Click on each link for more on past winners and for updates on past competition teams:
- 2016 Winners!
- BPC Alumni Testimonials – Updates on Past Competitors!
- 2015 Winners
- 2014 Winners
- 2013 Winners
- 2012 Winners
- 2011 Winners
- 2010 Winners
2017 BPC Training Session Schedule
Newspring conducts five training sessions for contestant teams and their business advisers about the required focus and planning to write their business plans and move effectively through the competition. These are closed sessions open only to contestants, advisers, Newspring staff and HCC’s BPC related staff. Training Sessions- Five Tuesday Evenings at HCC Spring Branch from January through March. We also encourage teams to meet individually with their advisers before or immediately following the training sessions.
- Session 1: February 7, 2017
- Session 2: February 21, 2017
- Session 3: February 28, 2017
- Session 4: March 7, 2017
- Spring Break: March 13 – 17, 2017 – Campus Closed
- Session 5: March 21, 2017 (Plans due April 10)
- Sessions 1, 3 & 4 – 1.5 hours, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm
- Sessions 2 & 5 – 2.0 hours, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm
- Directions To HCC Spring Branch Campus
- Main Building Site Plan Room 115 – Eagle Room – Middle of Main Building
- Imagine Yourself in a Training Session, in the Finals and at the Awards Ceremony! – See Photos: First Training Session ♦♦ Elevator Pitches ♦♦ Third Training Session ♦♦ Fourth Training Session ♦♦ Last Training Session ♦♦ Judging Session – Finalists Presentations ♦♦ 2016 Awards Ceremony
2017 Records Broken
2017 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition Breaks Three Records! Records: Applications – Teams – Mentors
2017 Training Blog
February & March 2017 Brought Action-Packed Competition Training Sessions to HCC Spring Branch
Check This BPC Webpage Regularly for Updates
Note that competition dates, rules and requirements are subject to revision. Therefore, applicants should review rules and requirements again immediately prior to filling out the application. Contestants accepted into the competition should also check this website regularly throughout the competition to stay updated. Applicants should also monitor incoming email to the email address you submitted in your application for additional updates.
Application Process – Entering the 2017 Competition
Prior to filling out the online application, the applicants should:
- Read the Contestant Requirements
- Read the Competition Rules
- Prerequisite– Requirement of prerequisite class OR graduation from the HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program:
- Still need to take the class? – Register Now
- In the application, college credit students provide Student Number; 10ksb grads, can provide COHORT Number instead of Student Number. Creating a Successful Business Plan Class students can input Confirmation Code instead of student number.
- If you take Creating a Successful Business Plan (an HCC online continuing education class), type in session dates you took the class and final grade in your BPC application. (Still need it? Sign up for an upcoming class in three minutes. Cost $109)
- Resumes – Have electronic resumes for EACH team member ready to attach. Upload each resume in a pdf file or word.doc file when prompted in the online application.
- Read Tips for a Strong BPC Application– Read Tips and we recommend you get started on your answers to the on-line application by first typing them into a word.doc and saving it, so you can better write and prepare your answers before cutting and pasting into the on-line submission form, and so you will have a copy of your answers.
- 2017 Application Deadline – January 18, 2017, 11:59pm. We also recommend you apply early, because we will be choosing the 25 teams for the 2017 competition throughout January up through and just after the application deadline.
- 2017 HCC Newspring BPC Application – Online Submission Form
Downloadable Flyers & More on Competition Advisors
For Downloadable Flyers and for More on the Competition Advisors:
- 2017 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition (BPC) Dates (downloadable flyer)
- Business Plan Course & 2017 HCC N BPC (downloadable flyer)
- Learn From Successful Business People 2017 HCC N BPC (downloadable flyer)
- Business Plan Competition Brochure (downloadable brochure)
- Competition Advisors (link to webpage Advisors-2017 HCC Newspring BPC)
Review of 2016 Business Plan Submission Process-Preview of 2017
Written Plans will be uploaded by using a link that will be provided below from April 3 through April 10, 2017 for the 2017 Competition. Presently, a link is provided to review the form used for the 2016 competition:
- Plans will only be accepted from contestant teams who were accepted into the 2017 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition in January 2017. Those contestants taking the required class concurrently should also be actively participating and engaged in the class. Additionally, plans will only be accepted by contestant teams that achieved perfect attendance at all five competition training sessions in February and March.
- Plans must be submitted by 11:59 pm April 10, 2017.
- Online Submission Form to Submit Written Plan for 2016 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
For more information about the competition, e-mail email@example.com or call (713) 718-6650.