HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition
- Entrants are encouraged (but not required) to work in teams of two or more.
- At least one member of each team must complete BUSG 2309 (for credit) or BUSG 2009 (continuing education) prior to the competition. HCC students must be in good academic standing. (Owners of existing businesses may apply to take the class concurrently- during the competition- but each applicant will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Graduates of HCC’s Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program may also apply for the competition and are NOT required to take BUSG 2309/BUSG 2009. Your completion of the 10,000 Small Businesses program is considered your prerequisite class.
Who Should Apply*
- Entrants who want to turn their business idea into a serious business;
- Entrants who own a business embarking upon a growth plan;
- Entrants who own a business that needs a new course of action; or
- Entrants whose employer needs a new business direction and/or new product line.
*Both start-ups and existing businesses are accepted.
2015 Competition Timeline
- November 18, 2014– Enrollment begins*
- January 20, 2015 – Enrollment deadline*
- April 2, 2015 – Submission deadline for business plan
- April 23, 2015 – Finalists present business plans to judges
- April 27, 2015 – Winners announced and awards presented
2015 BPC Training Session Schedule
Newspring conducts five training sessions for contestant teams and their business advisers about the required focus and planning to write their business plans and move effectively through the competition. These are closed sessions open only to contestants, advisers, Newspring staff and HCC’s BPC related staff.
Training Sessions- Five Tuesday Evenings at HCC Spring Branch from January through March. We also encourage teams to meet individually with their advisers before or immediately following the training sessions.
- Session 1: February 3
- Session 2: February 10
- Session 3: February 24
- Session 4: March 3
- Spring Break: March 16 – 20 - Campus Closed
- Session 5: March 24 - Plans due April 2
- Sessions 1, 3 & 4 – 1.5 hours, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm
- Sessions 2 & 5 - 2.0 hours, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm
- Directions To HCC Spring Branch Campus
- Main Building Site Plan Room 115 – Eagle Room – Middle of Main Building
Check This BPC Website Regularly for Updates
Note that competition dates, rules and requirements are subject to revision. Therefore, applicants should review rules and requirements again immediately prior to filling out the application. Contestants accepted into the competition should also check this website regularly throughout the competition to stay updated.
Apply to Enter the 2015 Competition
Prior to filling out the online application, you should:
- Read the Contestant Requirements
- Read the Competition Rules
- Have Student ID number for HCC Student Team Leader who has taken the required class (BUSG 2309 or BUSG 2009).
- If you still need to take the class, Register Now.
- HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Graduates can submit COHORT Number instead of Student Number.
- Resumes – Have electronic resumes for EACH team member ready to attach.
- Applications will be taken November 18, 2014 through January 20, 2015.
- Check back here in November to review the 2015 Application Form and to Apply to enter the 2015 Competiton.
- To Review Last Year’s BPC Application Form: http://www.hccbizconnect.org/programs/competition/bpc-application/
Downloadable Flyers & More on Competition Advisers
For Downloadable Flyers and for More on the Competition Advisers:
- Business Plan Competition (downloadable flyer)
- Business Plan Course and Competition (downloadable flyer)
- Competition Advisers
Past BPC Winners
2015 Business Plan Submission
Written Plans will be uploaded by using a link provided here in April 2015:
- Plans will only be accepted from contestant teams accepted into the 2015 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition in January 2015.
- Plans must be submitted by 11:59 pm April 2, 2015.
- Check back in April, 2015 for the on-line link to a form to submit team information and to upload 2015 plans.
For more information about the competition, e-mail email@example.com or call (713) 718-6650.