Newspring Business Plan Competition
- Entrants are encouraged (but not required) to work in teams of two or more
- At least one member of each team must complete BUSG 2309 (for credit) or BUSG 2009 (continuing education) prior to the competition. HCC students must be in good academic standing. (Owners of existing businesses may apply to take the class concurrently- during the competition- but each applicant will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Graduates of HCC’s Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program may also apply for the competition and are not required to take BUSG 2309/BUSG 2009. Your completion of the 10,000 Small Businesses program is considered your prerequisite class.
Who Should Apply
- Entrants who want to turn their business idea into a serious business;
- Entrants who are in a business that needs a new course of action; or
- Entrants whose employer needs a new business direction and/or new product line.
Timeline for the 2014 Newspring Business Plan Competition
- November 18, 2013– Enrollment begins*
- January 21, 2014 – Enrollment deadline*
- April 3, 2014 – Submission deadline for business plan
- April 24, 2014 – Finalists present business plans to judges
- April 28, 2014 – Winners announced and awards presented – Monday
BPC Training Session Schedule
Newspring conducts five training sessions for contestant teams and their business advisors about the required focus and planning to write their business plans and move effectively through the competition. These are closed sessions open only to contestants, advisors, Newspring staff and HCC’s BPC related staff.
Training Sessions-5 Tuesday Evenings at HCC Spring Branch: There will be five training sessions at HCC Spring Branch from January through March. We also encourage teams to meet individually with their advisers following the training sessions.
Session Dates & Topics
- February 4th, Session 1
- February 11th, Session 2
- February 25th, Session 3
- March 4th, Session 4
- March 25th, Session 5 (Plans due April 3rd) (2 hour session) (Eagle Room, 115) (note: Spring Break is the week of March 17-March 21)
Sessions 1, 3 & 4 are 1.5 hour sessions from 6:30pm-8:00pm.
Sessions 2 & 5 are 2.0 hour sessions from 6:30p-8:30pm.
- Directions To HCC Spring Branch Campus
- Location of Eagle Room – Room 115, Middle of Main Building – Main Building Site Plan
**Note there will be an additional Financial Workshop on Saturday March 2, 2013 from 9am-4pm for those contestants needing additional work in this area. There will be a nominal fee of $30 for this workshop.
Enter the 2014 Newspring Business Plan Competition
Be sure to read the Contestant Requirements and Competition Rules BEFORE completing the On-Line Application. Be prepared to attach electronic copies of each team member’s resume, because you MUST provide resumes for each team member. Be prepared to provide an HCC student number for at least one team member who is or has been registered for the required class.
Prior to filling out the online application, you should:
- Read the Contestant Requirements
- Read the Competition Rules
- Team leaders who have taken (BUSG 2309 or BUSG 2009), or who will be taking it this Spring. If you still need to take the class, Register Now.
- Team leaders who are graduates of the HCC Goldman Sachs 10,000 small businesses, submit your cohort number instead of your Student Number.
- Have electronic resumes for each team member ready to attach.
- Check back here for a link to apply online between November 18,2013 and January 21, 2014.
- Business Plan Competition (downloadable flyer)
- Business Plan Course and Competition (downloadable flyer)
- Competition Advisors
- Applications will be taken November 18, 2013 through January21, 2014: Apply Now: http://www.hccbizconnect.org/programs/competition/bpc-application/
Business Plan Submission
2014 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition Business Plans – Start-ups and Existing Businesses
- Plans will only be accepted from contestant teams that were accepted into the 2014 HCC Newspring Business Plan Competition in January 2014.
- Plans must be submitted by 11:59 pm April 3, 2014.
Click here for the on-line form to submit team information and to upload plan: Submit Written Plan for 2014 HCC Newpring BPC.
Past BPC Winners
For more information about the competition, e-mail email@example.com or call (713) 718-6650.